The moment I finished this mix, I put my headphones on and danced...to the entire thing.
South Africa moves me.
There cannot be a separation between the music, the history and the people.
With the support of a Jerome Foundation Travel and Study grant, I paid a visit to South Africa, determined to understand The Afro Digital Migration: House Music in Post Apartheid South Africa. I wanted to explore how house music took root in South Africa and shaped its national identity. The impetus for this research was my belief that electronic music in the African Diaspora is an under-explored cultural product. As a DJ, I was driven by the clean production and seamless mixes I heard; as a dancer, I wanted to witness the intricate body movement inspired by house; and as a scholar, I wanted to figure out how, in the face of state-sanctioned surveillance and harassment, the music flourished.
Special thanks and love to Clive Bean (Soul Candi) and Thokazani Mhlambi (Umtshakadulo) for answering my questions and arranging gigs for me to have a platform to express my Black American house experience and pay respect to the South African sound on the decks.
This mix is dedicated to Winnie Mandela, Busi Mhlongo and Miriam Makeba, three women who looked white supremacy and patriarchy in the eye and danced. Power is always subjective, never absolute. All Freedom Fighters come through the bodies of women.
Every single song selected was created by a South African producer/DJ. I've also featured the remixes of some of my favorite producers from the US (Spinna, Abicah Soul and Rocco).
1. Eish Anganzi-- Master Lucra (Johannesburg)
2. Soul on Fire --Devoted Featuring Kholi (Johannesburg/Cape Town)
3. We Going High-- Dj Shimza and Cuebar (South Africa)
4. Do U Want it? --Cuebar (Johannesburg)
5. Behind My Headphones-- DJ Micks feat-Sphelele (Eltonnick Remix) (Pretoria)
6. We Were Meant to Be ---"DJ Kent featuring Lolo (Abicah Soul Remix) Johannesburg
7. 1000 Zulu Warriors --Culoe de Song (Johannesburg)
8. XILOLOWE (bhana shilolo)-- Black Motion featuring Zulu (Soshanguve/Pretoria)
9. Wasting My Time-- Zakes Bantwini (Durban)
10. Falling Dj Kent --(Black Motion remix) Johannesburg
11. So Far Away --Cuebar and Nathan X (Johannesburg)
12. Never Saw You Coming-- Black Coffee (Dj Spinna remix) (Durban)
13. Drifting Away-- Bantu Soul (South Africa)
14. Sunshine-- Infinite Boys feat Lil Soul (Abicah Remix) (Daveyton)
WildSeed Cultural Group provides "Entertainment with a Thesis"